Friday, September 26, 2008


Ben got home for his ~2 week leave from Afghanistan on Wednesday, Sept. 17th. We had a wonderful 15 days together before he had to fly back this morning to finish his deployment. We expect to see each other again in about 5 months.

We spent the first 5 days of our "vacation" at a ski resort condo in Park City where we mostly just enjoyed being together as a family again. One of those evenings we went to the Alpine Slides/Coaster with some family and friends (we highly recommend the coaster!) and we went to the BYU vs UCLA football game on my birthday. GO COUGS! For those who may not know we beat them 59-0. It was awesome. Paige spent that day with Jill and Quinn and had a blast while Ben and I went to the game and then out to birthday dinner at Bombay House in Provo and birthday dessert at Red Mango. I had never left Paige with someone else for that long before (8 hours) and was so relieved that it went well. Thanks, Jill!

After that we headed down to St. George for a couple of days where we stayed at my parents' house. Paige got an ear infection so we spent some time at the doctor on Tuesday and that night we saw Les Miserables at Tuacahn. It was so great. If you get the chance, go see it before it's too late!

The next day we went to Vegas and stayed at the MGM Grand. We took Paige to dinner at Rainforest Cafe the first night (over priced, yucky food, but kind of fun - Paige liked the animals) . The next day we shopped at the outlets and that night Paige stayed overnight at my sister's while Ben and I ate at Emeril's, saw Ka (a cirque du soleil show) and walked down the strip to the Bellagio to see the water show and the blown glass ceiling in the lobby. Paige didn't even notice we weren't around; she had so much fun playing with her cousins and their dog. Thanks, Amber!
We had a really good time - Vegas is enjoyable in small doses like that.

After that it was off to my Grandparents' in Palos Verdes. They were out of town, but we stayed at their house anyway (thanks grandma and grandpa!). We went to the beach, the Crestridge Ward (my ward growing up), swimming, shopping, and ate (in no particular order) at Cheescake Factory, Ruby's, Lisa's Bon Appetit, Mayer's Bakery, Lox of Bagels, Red Onion, and Yummy Yogurt. We didn't make it to the Appetizer (AGAIN!), but that just means I'll have something else to look forward to next time.

Then we spent two full days at Disneyland and Californa Adventure! Yay!!! It was a blast. Even Paige enjoyed it more than I had expected. While there we met up with old Wymount friends that now live in the vicinity of Disneyland for either dinner at the House of Blues or fun at the park. Thanks for coming to see us! I'll post more about d-land later; it deserves it's own post.

After our second day at Disneyland ended (~9pm) we hopped in the car and drove the 6 1/2 hours to St. George where we stopped for less than 12 hours before we drove the rest of the way to Heber yesterday afternoon. It was kind of a downer way to finish up a great 2 weeks, but we had to hurry because Ben's plane left from SLC this morning at 6 am :( At least he got to eat lunch at Cafe Rio (for the third time in 2 weeks) on our way through St. George yesterday.

Well, that was just the brief low down on our time together. Though I'd be surprised if any of you are still reading this. I don't have the camera with me in Heber, so I won't be able to post pictures for a while, but I should be able to get some video from my flip up soon.

Paige (and honestly, I did too) basked in the all of the attention she got while daddy was home; she's asked for him today at least 3 times and it breaks my heart to see the disappointment on her face when I tell her he's not here. We'll look forward to seeing him on Skype again soon when he's made it back. Until then we probably won't hear from him for a couple of days.

Thanks for reading! And for my friends/family who are around (I'll be in the Utah County area for at least the next 10 days); I look forward to seeing you ladies soon - I could use the company!


heidizinha said...

sounds like you had a very fun, and very BUSY two weeks!

Jean said...

Yay!! Sounds like a totally fun-filled vacation. It was great to see you guys!! I think we should all have a rematch against Tim on Toy Story Mania. :-)

Anne said...

I was so excited for you when I heard Ben was coming home! I probably said, "I'll bet Bridget is loving life right now," and, "I wonder how Bridget and Ben are doing," about 10 times to my mom. Bummer you had to say goodbye again, but I'm glad you had a good time. Sounds like a dream.

hilary w said...

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time together. As soon as I saw your post that Ben was coming home, I have thought of you often, hoping you were enjoying some family time together. I hope these next 5 months go quickly and are filled with fun!

Ali said...

My brother in law, Jordan was just staying with us on his leave. He left this morning to go back to Bagdad. It's his second deployment and hopefully it will be over in March. It sounds like you made the most of every second together. I got all choked up when I put myself in your shoes at the part where he just flew out again. It really puts special time in perspective. Love you.

I love all the things you listed that you did...You really got to eat some fun places! Did you like Ka? Have you seen Mystere? I loved Mystere and have been wondering if Ka is as good.

Benjamin said...

I thoroughly enjoyed my leave, honey. Thank you for making our time together so memorable. I'm sorry that I have to keep leaving you. I guess one upside is we keep getting to take really fun vacations!

Emily said...

Sounds like a good time. Sorry it was only two weeks, I bet it went too fast. These next 5 months need to go quick!