Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Lifelong Tradition

We made gingerbread houses last night - something I've done every Christmas season since I was a much younger girl. And it all started with Diana West. A wonderful Young Women leader who not only used to bake tons of these houses from scratch for an annual mutual activity but who also came to my family's home to make and refill frosting bags every year while we decorated houses as a family (I am just now appreciating what a huge amount of work that was for her!). It really is one of my favorite annual traditions. Paige LOVES it and Claire really got into this year too. It's a lot of work but totally worth it - even if I didn't get to sit down and decorate my own house until the girls were in bed :)

Claire ate at least 5 pieces of candy for every piece that she put on her house. And she licked every piece that did make it on her house (before gently placing it down). She was in heaven! For reals.

Paige loves, loves, loves this kind of thing. I think she would have gone at this for at least 2 more hours if I had let her. She is already suggesting additions and changes she would make.

Ben is a good sport and puts a lot of effort into his houses every year, even though it's not nearly as important to him as it is to the rest of us.

She's excited!

Busily working away.

And I got to participate too.

Thank you, Diana, for starting a wonderful Christmas tradition (and, Mom, for keeping it going) that I'm sure will last at least a lifetime and hopefully well beyond!

2 comments:

Brittny said...

That is awesome!! We did our this year from a box:( I'm a little embarrassed to say that after seeing all of your cute houses!!
What a fun tradition! And your girls are darling!

maggie said...

diana is totally the reason why we do gingerbread houses too:) all hail the queen of gingerbread houses!XXOO:)