Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Happy 7 Year Proposal Anniversary

Seven years ago today, Ben proposed. It was the Sunday evening before Thanksgiving, I knew he'd had the ring for awhile, and I was getting REALLY impatient to get it because I wanted to go shopping for a dress over the holiday weekend when my mom was coming to town (Mom said, "Can't make wedding plans until you have a ring on your finger!"). Nevertheless, he managed to catch me by surprise and propose in an unforgettable way. I had planned to type here what I wrote in my journal from that night, but after just going back and reading the entry from November 18th, 2001, I can't bring myself to do it. It is just WAY too embarrassing. How many exclamation points can you use before it gets ridiculous? Let me just say that before I married Ben I was well on my way to becoming TAMN . . . well, maybe kind of like tamn . . . a version of tamn? Anyway, Ben has a way of keeping life real and keeping me grounded. Thanks, Sweetheart, for giving me so many reasons to say, "YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" when you popped the question all those years ago.

The picture at the top is from the night we went to see Les Mis at Tuacahn when Ben was home on leave in September. Oh yeah, and that blurry white spot?, that's the result of the camera lens having a stupid scratch right in the middle of it; same scratch that ruined our dland pics :( . I would have scanned in a picture from the night he proposed, but sadly all of those pictures are in storage; something to look forward to for next year.

5 comments:

Us5McEuens said...

I can't believe you remember the day Ben proposed. That is cool. Happy proposal anniversary. How is your war hero doing anyways?

That Girl said...

Thanks for the story! Steve asked me to marry him seven years ago, too ... in three days.

Anne said...

So cute. Don't worry, we all have TAMN in us. That's why she's so funny. I vote you just share your journal entry. How could sharing your joy hurt?
Also, we need a Ben update. What's new? Do you have an official date for him coming home?

Benjamin said...

None of it would have happened without Jill McAllister and Michael Sanders. My roommate Mike was going on a date with Ms. McAllister (they were Y group counselors together) and my future wife just happened to be staying with Jill at the time.
When Jill agreed to go on a date with Mike, Bridget had a decision to make. Luckily for her I had been eavesdropping on Mike's conversation and was aware of the dilemma. (I just realized I don't know how to spell eavesdropping or dilemma) I told Mike I would be her date, not knowing a single thing about her at the time. Hey, I was young; people did crazy things back then.
As I understand it, Bridget was not really interested in getting involved with anyone at the time, but she graciously accepted, risking just as much as me on this "accidental blind date". Fortunately for us, it was the best accident we've ever been in.
So here's to Mike and Jill, Y-groups, eavesdropping, Quizno's, "accidents", Jeeps, engagement rings, anticipation, and the woman of my dreams. And right now I mean that quite literally.

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

thanks for sharing this story. it's been almost 5 years for me and kirk. and yeah, i've been trying to use less exclamation points since i read about TAMN...so i must have a little bit of her in me, too.